Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I am not XL

Folding (read: sorting and laying "neatly" in rows on the former entertainment center that is now my "dresser") some of my clothes today, I noticed a fraction of shirts that are labeled XL. I do not wear these shirts because against my slender physique, they resemble man-sails. Most of these - actually now that I'm thinking of it - all of these XLs are gifts from family members. I have once in my life purchased a XXXL fleece hoodie, huge and unbelievably warm, like a blanket for wearing.

I don't know when or why my family decided to promote me from Medium to XL, but they did so without my acknowledgment. Sometime when I became the tallest person in the family, their perception of me changed.
Perhaps there logic was that my new height determines a new girth.
Perhaps they thought that because my father wears XL that I being taller now should.
Perhaps they thought better to be safe than sorry: too big rather than too small.

None of this makes sense to me.
Granted clothes are scarcely made in my size. Stores rarely sell tall pants trim enough, or long sleeves long enough. And XL sweats always shrink baring too much forearm or belt.
Granted I am taller, but have never been as thick as my father (and by thick, I mean strong, Dad.) I've never even been able to borrow a belt.
And granted too small is ridiculous, but too big is just goofy. I like to be comfortable in my clothes, not constricted, and not robed.

I am not a giant. I am not Big&Tall. I am not extra large.
Family, please stop gifting me clothes. Just... don't.
PS. I may be more stylish than yous anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

/*******Google Tracker*********/