Sunday, July 1, 2007

Family Expectations

My family - the entire extended family, that is, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc - expects each and every one of us to attend every function.

If you are late, someone calls you to check on what the hold up is.
If you hadn't planned on coming, someone calls you to check on what the hold up is.
If you've moved out of state, you're still expected to make an effort to be there.
If you've gone out of town, you will be called, teased, harassed, and pranked as they wonder why you did not work your schedule around the family's event.

*ring* 'A documentary in California for three weeks? But Malerie's graduation party is coming up. Can't that wait?'
*ring* 'We've already started eating. Where are you?' "I'm reading." 'Aunt Lisa says to get over here now.'
*ring* 'Why did you leave me at the bar, asshole?' "But I'm in Florida!" 'What? How come you didn't tell me?'

And of course, even if they don't tell you about it, you're expected to have gotten informed somehow anyway. (I have often been left out of the loop having lived away from home during school.)

*ring* 'How are you getting to Isaiah's birthday party on Sunday?' "Isaiah's birthday is Sunday?" 'I told you.' "Mom, you haven't talked to me in over a week. No one ever tells me these things."

You'd think I would start getting my own invitations at some point. They've started to get the clue finally. I got a wedding invitation and two graduation invites this year.

Maybe now my family has caught on to the fact that I am all growed up...
but they still wonder where my mother, brothers, and sisters are when I show up independently.
Why didn't they come with me?
I just don't know. I had never considered the notion that they should.

1 comment:

  1. dear joey just fyi i also expect you to provide for me in my old age when you become a rich and famous director. who ever thought joey the boy who jumped on the backwards peddling exercise bike would have a BACHELORS degree. your favorite aunt mickey loves you just they way you are..

    ReplyDelete

/*******Google Tracker*********/